15 Incredible Facts About Baby's First Year
April 13, 2022
We all know that the ability to grow and give birth to a baby is miraculous. And, we found even more fascinating facts about your baby’s first year that will leave you in extra awe of your miracle.
Here are 15 incredible facts about your baby’s first year
1. When your baby is born, they have 300 bones and don’t have kneecaps. Adults only have 206 bones!
2. Most newborns cry without tears until they are three to six weeks old.
3. Approximately 80% of babies are born with a birthmark, either red birthmarks, which take their color from blood vessels and may even appear shortly after birth, or pigmented birthmarks, which are always present at birth.
4. Babies make their first social smiles between four and six weeks after birth.
5. Most newborns will lose all the hair they are born within 3-4 months.
6. In baby's first three months of life, they can only see things that are eight to nine inches away. This is the perfect distance to see your face when you're holding and feeding your baby, but it also lets him focus on his hands and the rest of his own body.
7. According to research conducted by the University of Helsinki, babies recognize the music they hear in the womb for up to four months after birth. In fact, songs you played a lot while the baby was in the womb, may eventually soothe them.
8. Once your baby learns to laugh, they can laugh up to 300 times a day! Adults? They only laugh approximately 60 times a day.
9. Touch is a newborn’s most advanced sense. And, a baby as young as 25 weeks can respond to touch. The development of the sense of touch starts at the head and stretches down to the toes, which is why babies put things in their mouths.
10. A baby can swallow and breath at the same time until they are seven months old.
11. Babies forget. Babies forget the majority of the first three years of their life. Neuroscientists call this "infantile amnesia.”
12. An average baby will have 2,700 diaper changes a year.
13. A new baby will deprive their parents of 350-400 hours of sleep in the first year. This adds up to one entire sleepless night per week!
14. A baby’s brain will be 60% of its adult size by the time the baby reaches their first birthday.
15. If your baby continued their first year's growth rate, they would be 170 feet tall by the time they become an adult!
(Via: momunction.com, kinsahealth.com, babypreppers.com, mom365.com, and distractify.com)